Are you interested in using your legal skills to be part of a team that provides consumer assistance with clients that have health care access issues? Join BayLegal’s dynamic Health Consumer Center!
Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) is committed to ensuring fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community and addressing systemic inequities that foster intergenerational poverty. Practicing in seven Bay Area counties, BayLegal is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Bay Area. We help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally-recognized Legal Advice Line and Health Consumer Center hotlines, BayLegal’s mission is to prevent domestic violence and sexual assault, increase economic stability, protect consumers, expand access to healthcare, and prevent homelessness. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
We are seeking an Attorney for our centralized health unit located in Oakland, CA. This person will be part of a team that provides consumer assistance, legal advice, brief service and extended representation to eligible clients with health care access issues throughout the Bay Area including Sonoma County.
We are interested in candidates who can demonstrate a working knowledge or willingness to learn and commitment to health care related issues, including Medicare, Medi-Cal and managed care. Candidates shall have a demonstrated commitment to public interest law and social justice advocacy and are required to pass a background check for this position.
As a BayLegal Attorney you will have the opportunity to:
- Represent individuals in administrative hearings and plan grievance proceedings at every stage of litigation, including negotiating with plans and providers for coverage of services and/or access to treatment;
- Serve the diverse legal needs of underserved and vulnerable communities in Alameda County and broader Bay Area including formerly incarcerated individuals, the chronically homeless, veterans, disabled individuals and survivors of interpersonal violence;
- Provide workshops and technical assistance to community partners and clients on health access issues and broad range of civil legal needs;
- Develop relationships and engage in collaboration with a range of public and private community partners, including governmental agencies, courts, and community based organizations, to ensure integrative services and address systemic barriers facing BayLegal’s client community;
- Engage in other tasks and projects that further the interest of furthering BayLegal’s mission and operations as a non-profit;
- Make systemic change through impact litigation and policy work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a close knit team as well as independently.
- Strong organizational and computer skills.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, ever changing and high pressure environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Bilingual fluency a plus; Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin preferred.
- Project management experience.
- Outreach, training and education experience.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and competitive compensation based on a competitive public interest salary scale (salary scales were recently increased, salary information available upon request) along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal’s benefits package which includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program, and a 401k retirement plan following first year. Generous paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter including responding to question below (does not need to be limited to one page), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “HCC Attorney —Alameda County” in the title of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, working poor, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities and persons from other underrepresented groups. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to serve our client base effectively and to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility, inclusion and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.