Have You Had Trouble Getting Gender-Affirming Care? Know Your Rights!
- If your health insurance has denied you gender-affirming care, you have the right to appeal their decision.
- This may include appealing to state agencies that have more protections for gender-affirming care to prevent discrimination.
- State agencies often reverse health plan denials.
- State agencies may also be able to help with problems like not being able to find a surgeon in the plan’s network, or all the in-network surgeons having long waitlists.
You may be eligible for free and confidential legal assistance with the appeal process from a nonprofit law firm.
- Residents of most Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Sonoma) can call BayLegal’s Health Consumer Center: (855) 693-7285
- San Francisco residents who receive Medi-Cal, CalWORKs, CalFresh, or CAAP/GA can also call BayLegal’s San Francisco office: (415) 982-1300
- For other counties you can find your local Health Consumer Center by calling (888) 804-3536 and entering your ZIP Code.
BayLegal cannot guarantee that an attorney will represent you in your case. The information provided on this web page does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead all information, content, and materials presented here are for general informational purposes only