We are looking for an experienced domestic violence attorney, who will provide legal services to meet the needs of survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or human trafficking in an array of court proceedings, including dissolution of marriage, custody and support, UPAs and restraining orders. The domestic violence attorney will also be called upon to address clients’ DV-related immigration legal needs, or collaborate with other attorneys providing assistance in these matters. The attorney will engage in community outreach, particularly to underserved populations, and engage in collaborations with other legal service providers, DV agencies, and courts to address policy and impact issues affecting domestic violence survivors. This is anticipated to be a six-month position.
The position will also work in collaboration with the court, local government, and community agencies to address systemic barriers affecting domestic violence and sexual assault survivors. We seek attorney candidates who are adept working in a litigation-rich practice, will be self-directed, and are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. The position is located in our downtown San Jose office.
About the Successful Candidate
- Membership in good standing of the California State Bar
- Bilingual ability in Spanish or an API language preferred but not required
- Minimum one year relevant family law experience
- Strong trial advocacy skills and comfort level with all stages of litigation
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills and is very detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a dynamic team
- Cultural competency in working with low‐income clients from diverse backgrounds, including clients with physical and mental disabilities, LEP clients, and LGBT clients
- Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done
- Strong organizational, language, and communication skills
- Exceptional listener and strategist who can thrive in a collegial environment
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is based on experience. Position will be eligible for medical and dental benefits.
Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference Santa Clara DV Temporary Attorney in your application.
In a separate page from your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include the working poor, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.[Please note that your response to the prompt above will not be read by your interviewing hiring committee. To reduce potential bias, your name will be removed and your response to this prompt will be read and reviewed separately from the rest of your application. Feedback on your response will then be provided to the interviewing hiring committee for this position. Therefore, if there is any specific information that you would like the interviewing hiring committee to be aware of, please make sure to include that information in your cover letter, even if there is some duplication.]