The Director of Human Resources reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of the senior management team. You will work with a conscious, diverse and creative team that works hard to take our clients out of poverty and thriving towards a brighter future. You will be responsible for the overall management and direction of the Firm’s human resources activities and own the entire employee lifecycle experience, flexing from strategic business partner to hands-on tactical execution. Provide consultation to management on recruitment and retention, compensation, benefits, training and development, labor relations, compliance, and regulations. You play a hands-on role in ensuring that all personnel policies and practices, and the CBA are administered and interpreted correctly and that the organization complies with legislated mandates. You will create and lead HR practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high-performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, diversity, quality, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a diverse, superior workforce.
What You Need To Succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Labor Relations, or Business Management
- 5 plus years’ experience as a HR or Labor relations Manager or Director or HR Generalist with increasing management responsibilities
- Hands-on, results-oriented problem solver with excellent time management skills.
- Ability to use critical thinking, research and reasoning to develop creative solutions.
- Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively.
- Effective at building relationships with internal staff, external partners, and vendors.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Inquisitive, self-directed, and forward-thinking individual.
- Strong organizational, language and communication skills.
- Positive attitude, with ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Effective negotiator, culturally competent, with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Experience working at a non-profit preferred
- Experience working in a union environment preferred
- SPHR/PHR Certification preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; long-term disability; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; law school loan repayment; bilingual stipends; and 401k retirement plan.
Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Please send cover letter, diversity statement (see below), resume, and references, to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference DHR in the subject line of your application email.
In a separate page from your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include the working poor, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.[Please note that your response to the prompt above will not be read by your interviewing hiring committee. To reduce potential bias, your name will be removed and your response to this prompt will be read and reviewed separately from the rest of your application. Feedback on your response will then be provided to the interviewing hiring committee for this position. Therefore, if there is any specific information that you would like the interviewing hiring committee to be aware of, please make sure to include that information in your cover letter, even if there is some duplication.]