Are you interested in using your skills to support a strong social justice anti-poverty law firm and make a difference in the lives of thousands of low-income families? Join BayLegal!
Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) is on the front lines fighting for our clients’ rights. Last year, BayLegal removed legal barriers to health, safety, and stability through representation, legal advice and information, referrals, community education, and advocacy for more than 75,000 low-income individuals and their families throughout seven Bay Area counties.
As a regional poverty law firm that has been serving our local communities since the 1960s, we are committed to working alongside our clients and community partners to address inter-generational poverty and social inequality. We practice in multiple legal substantive areas to help our clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. BayLegal works to prevent domestic violence and sexual assault, increase economic stability, protect consumers, expand access to healthcare, and prevent homelessness. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. By serving clients at a wide range of access points, including our six regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally recognized legal hotlines, BayLegal has a unique viewpoint to identify patterns of illegal practices and barriers to our clients’ rights in need of broader advocacy and potential impact litigation. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
Brief Description of BayLegal’s Financial Administration and Position:
Reporting to the nationally recognized Executive Director, the Director of Finance (CFO) is an integral member of the senior management team. The chosen candidate will be responsible for taking on a leadership role in financial decision-making that affects BayLegal and will provide strategic financial input to senior management. While keenly overseeing the overall accounting process, the ideal candidate is skilled at the strategic financial level, and also able to mentor the accounting team on the more tactical deliverables of audits, budgeting, and GAAP and will play a key role in developing and implementing financial procedures to improve and maintain the financial health of our firm. BayLegal has approximately 150 employees and an operating budget of over $21 million. BayLegal’s finance department is staffed by five experienced accountants in addition to the Director.
This position is based in our Central Support Office in Oakland. See COVID19 Remote work.
The Director of Finance & Administration has hands-on responsibility for the day-to-day planning, implementing, managing and controlling of all finance-related activities. Responsibilities include the following:
- Supervise and support a highly experienced accounting team.
- Maintain accounting systems providing adequate controls over revenues, expenses, assets, and liabilities, and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as applicable to 501(c)3 organizations.
- Serve as a liaison with the Audit /Finance Committee of the Board of Directors providing financial reports and information on a timely basis.
- Manage the annual budget preparation process in co-ordination with the executive director and the senior management.
- Develop cost allocation plan and indirect cost rate.
- Oversee the month-end closing and preparation of financial statements.
- Prepare and present financial reports to the senior management, the audit/finance committee and coordinating presentation of financial reports at the Board meetings.
- Manage grants compliance and contract billing, analyzing variances and communicating with appropriate management staff.
- Ensure financial compliance requirements from all funding sources, including monitoring visits from funders.
- Supervise the processing of the in-house payroll and filing of the payroll tax returns.
- Manage cashflows and monitor aging and collection of accounts receivable.
- Coordinate and prepare work papers and schedules for the annual audit, including the required state and federal reports and filing of the tax return, Form 990.
- Evaluate and maintain relationship with banks and investment firm. Oversee investments and cash management.
- Administration of BayLegal’s 401-K retirement plan, year-end audit and preparation of Form 5500
- Negotiate equipment leases, oversee vendor relations. Ensure that procurement policies and procedures are followed for major purchases.
- Evaluate and place appropriate insurance coverages and manage the renewal process.
- Other duties as assigned by the executive director.
COVID-19 remote work:
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all BayLegal employees are currently working remotely from home. While BayLegal has implemented detailed health and safety protocols to minimize risk of exposure and have an evolving plan for reopening our local offices, we anticipate remaining primarily remote at least throughout the rest of 2020. All employees are expected to be able to primarily work remotely from home until BayLegal determines it is safe to reopen offices. All employees are issued BayLegal computers, provided with appropriate supplies and BayLegal covers reasonable work-related expenses. BayLegal has implemented and continues to explore additional technologies to make working remotely as efficient and connected as possible. All employees receive flat-rate monthly amounts to cover the use of personal IT equipment, including internet, and home office use.
Requirements/Qualifications about the successful candidate:
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Accounting, MBA preferred, CPA required.
- A minimum of 10 years of broad financial experience in a non-profit organization with multiple funding sources. At least 5 years of supervisory experience. Experience within a legal services organization a plus.
- Successfully passing a background check.
- Demonstrated leadership and team management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to be detail oriented.
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
- Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details
- A commitment to fostering inclusivity and equity, as well as humility when working with clients and colleagues at the intersection of multiple identities, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigration status, religion, physical and mental disability, and/or limited English proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal’s benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40‐50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policies include sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email the following to our Human Resources Department firstname.lastname@example.org (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample. Please reference Director of Finance & Administration in the subject of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low‐ and very low‐income members of our communities. They include people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, seniors, people with lived experiences of homelessness, veterans, people with disabilities, and people from other underrepresented groups. BayLegal is committed to enhancing the provision of our services to all clients, increasing positive client outcomes, and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. BayLegal promotes and supports policies that enable us to work effectively in cross‐cultural situations with our clients, coworkers, and the community.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to: (1) serve our diverse client base effectively, (2) work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds than your own, (3) acknowledge the systemic barriers that our clients face, and (4) contribute to our efforts to fight for racial justice? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, provide examples, and apply various aspects of your life and personal experiences.