Bay Area Legal Aid’s (BayLegal) mission is to provide high quality legal assistance to low-income communities throughout the Bay Area – regardless of a client’s location, language, or disability. We are the largest provider of free civil legal services to low-income residents of the San Francisco Bay Area with regional offices in seven counties. Our services include advice, referrals, limited scope assistance, extended representation, public policy and impact advocacy, trainings, and community education. From Napa Valley to Silicon Valley, BayLegal ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. We help our clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. BayLegal’s 150+ staff members provide wraparound legal services in housing preservation, domestic violence and sexual assault prevention, economic security, consumer protection, and healthcare access.
The Communications and Development Associate supports and contributes to the growth of BayLegal’s public profile and financial stability and helps ensure the community understands the importance of civil legal services in the fight against intergenerational poverty and social injustice. The Associate plays a critical role in elevating BayLegal by maintaining and strengthening relationships with donors, partners, and media, and by developing marketing strategies to cultivate relationships with new stakeholders and donors. The Associate will report to the Director of Development and Communications, and work closely with attorneys and advocates throughout the firm to build client stories and key messages. This is a position that will grow in scope and strategic leadership opportunities as it helps to grow our fundraising and communications operations. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about these new opportunities, and engaged in helping to strategize them.
- Execute print and electronic marketing, engagement, and fundraising strategies, managing project timelines, workflow, and information systems, contributing significantly to graphic design, and assisting in content creation
- Administer our constituent database, and help to evaluate and develop our data strategy. We are seeking a candidate who is excited about data and a creative data thinker
- Manage website, social media, and marketing/communications platforms and vendor relationships
- Support media outreach, maintain the media database, and monitor media trends
- Provide support and coordination for occasional fundraising and special events
- Provide general administrative support to the department, and other duties as assigned
- Commitment to social justice and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Excellent design, data management, and editorial skills with an eye for detail. Experience with Salesforce, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Creative Suite strongly preferred. Experience in social media and CMS and web management is highly valued
- Demonstrated ability to safeguard sensitive information and work with professionalism and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
- Sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; long term disability; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; and 401k retirement plan.
Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply by 5/17/19. Please send a cover letter, diversity statement (see below), resume, and list of references to Human Resources Department: email@example.com. Be sure to refer to the “Development and Communications Associate” in the title of your email.
In a separate page from your cover letter, please address the following:[Please note that your response to the prompt below will not be read by your interviewing hiring committee. To reduce potential bias, your name will be removed and your response to this prompt will be read and reviewed separately from the rest of your application. Feedback on your response will then be provided to the interviewing hiring committee for this position. Therefore, if there is any specific information that you would like the interviewing hiring committee to be aware of, please make sure to include that information in your cover letter, even if there is some duplication].
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include the working poor, seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.