Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. From Silicon Valley to Napa Valley, we help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. BayLegal is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Bay Area serving families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally-recognized Legal Advice Line, Health Consumer Center and Tenants’ Rights Line, BayLegal’s advocacy helps to prevent domestic violence and sexual assault, increase economic stability, protect consumers, expand access to healthcare, prevent homelessness and break inter-generational poverty and social inequality. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
We seek an enthusiastic, culturally sensitive Bilingual Support Staff (Spanish/English) with a strong social justice commitment to support our attorneys in providing direct legal assistance to clients and the client communities. The position will be based at our Oakland location spending some time in other regional offices as needed (reimbursed for transportation costs for travel outside of the Oakland office). Initially, you will split between our San Francisco and Oakland offices.
Depending on the particular demands of the office and with supervision and training, the duties of support staff may include:
- Reception and Screening – Providing reception services, including answering telephones, greeting visitors and connecting individuals and families to appropriate resources, scheduling appointments, and ensuring our reception is professional, welcoming and safe for all members of our community.
- Secretarial and Clerical Support – Assisting with composing and proofreading simple letters and routine legal documents, maintaining the office library, preparing and distributing mail, filing, case file organization, case management and calendaring systems, and updating case management system.
- Translation – (Bilingual stipend paid upon passing test) providing interpretation and translation services
High school graduate or equivalent; ability to work cooperatively and efficiently with other staff members and members of the community.
- Intermediate level with Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
- Must type at least 50 words per minute
- At least one year clerical experience
- Must be able to operate all office equipment including photocopying, fax and scanning and mail postage systems,
- Within 90 days of hiring, must become proficient in utilizing the case management, timekeeping, calendaring and other computer applications used in the office.
- Must be able to handle a fast paced environment and multi-task with minimum supervision
- Must have a pleasant manner, be articulate and concise, be able to proficiently make appropriate and effective referrals
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment and compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale (salary scales were recently increased, salary information available upon request). BayLegal has an generous benefits package which includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program, and a 401k retirement plan following first year. Generous paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter including responding to question below (does not need to be limited to one page), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to refer to the posting “Bilingual Administrative staff position” in the title of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, working poor, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities and persons from other underrepresented groups. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to serve our client base effectively and to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility, inclusion and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.